Saturday, March 26, 2011

Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K 2011

Ok, I am officially the worst blogger ever! I last blogged in mid-December & could not muster even 2 measly minutes to blog during my 2 weeks of winter vacation...nothing!! Well, I set a 2011 goal to run 11 races so I decided to check in at the end of the 1st Quarter to see how I am doing.

1st race of 2011: 1/8/2011, Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K at Papago Park, Phoenix, AZ.
My running parter, Jeff, invited me to sign-up for this FREE, casual race with his running blogger friends. I had heard about a few of them (Adam, Lauren and Rio) and I had met Lauren at the SCC track in December. I LOVE free races (really, free anything!) so I signed up immediately. Adam organized the race and invited people outside the valley to run that day in their neck of the woods and submit a virtual report. Kind of a cool idea. On this chilly January morning, I carpooled with Jeff and his neighbor, Kim, to Papago Park. While enduring frigid temperatures (low 40s in Phoenix...brrrhhhh!), we hung out in the parking lot trying to stay warm for 15 minutes before the race started. There were about 15 Phoenicians ready to run.
Jeff, Kim and I hug it out before the 7:42 A.M. start!

The course was marked with flour (the other white powder was to be enjoyed at the post-race party!) so that gave me a good idea that the goodie bag was likely to be chintzy. Adam gave the official start signal (I think he said, "Go!") and the small group was off and ... running! Jeff and I had quickly assessed the level of the participants and decided we probably would come in close to last place. Other than Adam, there were some impressive runners in that group. We actually ran a solid race and finished ahead of 5 people, including a couple pushing a baby-in-stroller. The only snag was the course was marked just short at the halfway point so we ran 3 instead of 3.1 miles. Oh well.

I thought the organizers did a great job and I met some nice people! I definitely would run this race again and I hear they are planning the 2nd Sweat Your Thorns Off 5K this summer. I will be there, wearing less clothes since it will be 108 degrees! :)

1 comment:

  1. That was a fun time! You forgot to mention that I ran faster than you. ????

    ReplyDelete