Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Training Run That Led to Plantar Fasciitis :(

Training Run (LSD): Saturday, 2/12/2011

Since I am a "little" behind on my posts, I have to include the date in the body so everyone can follow along with my procrastination! At least I have a few comments when I logged the run on dailymile . Otherwise, I would have trouble remembering some of the details and anyone who knows me well, knows that I am all about the details. ;)

Jeff (running partner) and I decided to run 3-4 miles several times a week and schedule long runs (6-10 miles) on Saturday morning as a way to build a solid base for the January 2012 marathon. Then we will get really crazy this October and toss in the 18-20 miles as part of the necessary preparation!

We ran 8 miles the previous Saturday (2/5) with few issues. Geyer had been struggling with calf issues (I told him to go vegetarian but to no avail yet!) since December I think but recently bought compression sleeves and raved about the tight feeling. He did feel a twinge around mile 6, we slowed down, he ran through it and was fine. I got a stitch around mile 5.5, slowed down, did the 'arms overhead' thing, worked it out.

Ok, back to the 2/12 run. We started around 8:30 A.M., a decent time for a Saturday morning run in mid-February, and decided to run 8, maybe 10, miles again. We parked near 44th Street & Camelback and ran on Lafayette and canal into old town Scottsdale. My legs and lungs felt great but calves were bothering Jeff again and compression sleeves were not helping this time. The run/walk/run/walk/run pattern was sporadic and I had trouble getting into any rhythm. I know Jeff had it worse since he was in pain. Anyway, despite the lovely views along Lafayette, I was frustrated because usually my head is clear after a long run. I dropped off Jeff at his house, headed home to grab a snack and pickup my gym bag, and drove to the gym to cross train. However, it was a beautiful morning, I like to exercise outside and I had the time that weekend. I figured I had 3-4 miles left in my legs since I walked so much of the LSR. I took off, too quickly I realize now. About 1 mile in, the bottom of my left foot started to hurt and I continued to run and tried to ignore the pain. I finally stopped to walk after 3.7 miles, just 0.25 mile from the gym. The heat from the sun beating down on me + the foot pain was more than I could handle. I hobbled through the rest of my gym routine (whirlpool, pool walking & sauna/steam room). On a positive note, I enjoyed a Chocolate Outrage GU after the run and as far as an artificially flavored energy gel goes, CO is Yumster! Unfortunately, I neglected to ice my foot when I got home. And I added to the pain by going to a friend's birthday party that night and danced the night away in heels. PAINFUL!

This reads like a soap opera, right?! Next on 'Plantar Fasciitis', does Chloe tell Patrick that she is carrying E. J.'s baby or does Suzanne get a foot transplant from a Good Samaritan who is really her twin brother switched at birth and then stolen from the hospital? And J. R. may have been shot by an overzealous cyclist on an earlier episode of 'P. F. Dallas'! :D
Does this dress make me look pregnant?
Do you think Patrick can tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment