Saturday, November 27, 2010

ARR Thanksgiving Day Classic 2010

I had planned to be in Phoenix for Thanksgiving again because I only had 2 days off from work and I have cutoff air travel for awhile. [Side note: I have not been home for Tday since 2000. :( ] So I decided, why not participate in a 'Turkey Trot' before chowing down, taking a turkeyless-induced nap, and then checking out the local movie theater? I was reminded of the Boulevard Bolt that I ran a few times back in the 90s in Nashville. Ironically, no one in my family ever went to those races with me even though I was surrounded by family when I lived in TN. And the BB was a 5K and back then I always struggled to run 3.1 miles. Now that is my regular training workout. This year I signed up for the 10-mile event because the ARR race was in Peoria, about 35 minutes away, plus it benefited Peoria Pantry and I needed a 'long distance' training run before the end of the year. The race started at 8:00 A.M. so I arrived at Peoria Sports Complex at 7:15 A.M. with plenty of time to pickup my race bib and Tshirt. It was COLD and WINDY...definitely unexpected weather pattern for Phoenix and disliked by me!! I hurried back to my car to attach the bib to my race shirt, drink a little water and put away my new ARR shirt and STAY WARM. At 7:45 A.M., I lined up a little behind the 'START' line, sent a text message to my mother and tried to stay loose while freezing. The race started with a very CROWDED path and my toes were cold and numb for at least the first 3 miles. It sucked because I was pretty uncomfortable. Then, FINALLY, I felt like I was running in a good rhythm: smooth breathing, strong legs, decent pace. I had trouble between miles 5-7 with the rolling 'hills' on the course. I felt GREAT between miles 7-9 and I picked up the pace with ease. Plus I knew I had been slower earlier in the race and was hoping to make up some time. However, I may have pushed it because my right foot (with a burgeoning pinky toe blister...ugh!) started to burn as I finished mile 8 and approached the last mile. This mile hurt the most. I almost stopped to walk but I wanted to finish so badly. I know I would have finished a sub-10minute/mile pace except for that last mile. I am very THANKFUL that I finished the race in 1:40, was able to support ARR & PP, talk with my family for over an hour (YAY!), and was able to enjoy dinner/movie with friends. I pray for those who are struggling without family, friends, health, housing, food, job right now. My right foot is recovering nicely and I look forward to running tomorrow morning! BLESSINGS all around!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment