Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vegetarian Lasagna

Foodie posts continue!! :D A few weeks ago, I contemplated my first Thanksgiving dinner as a vegetarian and decided to make lasagna. However, I got lazy (shocking!) and ended up going to a friend's house and ate the side dishes (yum, 2 helpings). Surprisingly, I was not tempted by the turkey at all. Yesterday I picked up my usual vegetable bag at d'lish coffee shop and had lots of arugula. Then I remembered that I made lasagna with arugula last month but it was chocked full of Gorgonzola cheese and heavy cream. I still had the makings for "regular" veggie lasagna so I decided to make it this weekend and have yummy leftovers for the week. This version was amazingly DELICIOUS and healthier!

Ingredients:
8 Vita Spelt organic Lasagna noodles (I soaked noodles in water for 30 minutes)
1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese [I used organic firm tofu]
1 organic brown egg
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
4-5 cups spaghetti sauce (I used organic diced tomatoes + seasonings)
1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
[I used arugula instead of spinach because I have lots of arugula!]
1/4 cup organic chopped walnuts
2 cups organic shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup organic shredded Parmesan cheese
[I added several cloves of fresh garlic and a chopped onion.]

Cook lasagna noodles for 9-11 minutes and drain. [I soaked noodles instead of cooking this time and I should have soaked noodles for 10-15 more minutes.] Combine ricotta cheese/tofu, egg and parsley. Oil an 11" X 7" X 2" baking dish. Spoon 1 cup of sauce on bottom of baking dish and layer with 4 noodles. Top with 1/2 of each: ricotta/tofu mixture, nuts, spinach, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Add second layer of noodles and repeat with remaining ingredients. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to more veggie for our family, so thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete