Sunday, November 28, 2010

Homemade Organic Granola Bars

Making more food! I found this recipe, posted in 2006, on the AllRecipes website. I made the granola bars last night and they are super yummy. Be prepared to get your hands really sticky! I enjoyed licking my fingers after pressing mixture into the pan. YUM!! Next time I will use less brown sugar and honey. The bars were a little too sweet. The recipe makes 24 bars (approx 1 ounce). Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161, Fat: 5.5g, Cholesterol: 9mg. ENJOY!!!

Ingredients:

2 cups organic rolled oats

3/4 cup packed organic brown sugar

1/2 cup organic wheat germ [I used 1/4 cup each: ground flax seed & wheat germ]

3/4 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon

1 cup organic spelt flour

3/4 cup organic raisins (optional) [I used 1/4 cup each: shredded coconut, cranberries, raisins]

3/4 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 cup organic or local honey

1 organic egg, beaten

1/2 cup organic vegetable oil (I substituted canola)

2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract

1/4 cup chopped organic almonds and walnuts [I added the nuts]

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting or they will be too hard to cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment