Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Garmin...GTL? GTC? Acronyms galore!

February 20-March 16, 2011

Soon after starting my running adventure with Geyer (& I mean 3 minutes into that November 4th run!), Jeff starts pushing me to buy a Garmin. He says, "All the cool kids are using them" and "You know you want one." I started to wonder what kind of
pusher leader he was at work!

Words like cadence, laps, splits, virtual partner, GPS were tossed around like common vernacular and I knew I had found another person like me...
OC data driven! I appreciated the information regarding pace during the run and mileage information after the run but I liked the feel of running 'naked', just chatting occasionally with Geyer. And when I went on solo runs, I made note of the start and end times to track pace, and then only carried a music player to keep focused and stay motivated. It was kind of cool because I started to feel the pace more, checking in with Jeff when I thought the pace was too fast or slow for me.

Jeff mentioned the Garmin every week but I delayed the purchase as I had other financial goals until Spring. I even speculate that Geyer bailed on the RNR AZ so I would borrow his Garmin. Think about it: he didn't pay the race entry fee! Late February arrived and I felt good about buying the Garmin as I received my tax refund earlier than expected. I ordered the Forerunner 305 and expandable strap from Amazon (pretty sure that Jeff gets kickbacks!) and the packages were mailed to my pob at the beginning of March. Unfortunately, for a week, I forgot to go during regular pickup times and finally got everything on 3/10. Eureka!

I opened the packages with anticipation, then read parts of the manual and charged the unit. Ironically I was taking an injury timeout so the Garmin was unneeded for the first week.

I used it on 3/16 for a short run with Geyer and Norman (the pupster) and I could see the fun with all that data! I am simply a 'Start' and 'Stop' kind of gal but I probably will try a few other features soon. Jeff, thanks for the mini-lesson.

Happy running, everyone! :D
It packs a power punch!

No comments:

Post a Comment