Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Training Runs / Pre-Race Report / Shot needed

A few more training runs since the ARR South Mountain Classic, trying to be careful with this plantar-faking L foot and get rid of my smoker's congestion at the same time. In April, I ran on 4/1, 4/2, 4/4, 4/6, skipped a week, ran this morning, and have 1 more run on Friday morning Thursday evening. Other than running 5 miles on 4/2 (earlier post), the other runs have been 3.1-3.3 miles between 10.37-13.33 average pace. The pain comes and goes but it is there every day. I feel like I cannot ice my foot enough during the day and sometimes I only ice it at night. Last Sunday, I worked almost all day doing the latte grind + a special event so my foot was screaming that night. Dr. H. told me to come back before the end of the week to get another steroid shot since he knew I was determined to run the next race. I went back to see Dr. H. this afternoon, flirted a bit, got the shot, and now the foot is numb until midnight. I also bought the suggested arch support inserts but forgot to put them in my shoes for the run this morning. I am curious to see if they make a difference. Check out the picture below. I am still learning the language but they look comfortable!
Only a few days left until I race in Pat's Run for the 1st time. I am excited and amazingly enough, not nervous like I usually am before a race. The race is 4.2 miles and I expect to run the entire time. I have had some bronchial congestion and tightness. Thankfully my legs have felt great so I am running on that positive note! I am carpooling with Geyer to the light rail (only $3.50 all day), riding the rail into Tempe, and walking a short distance to the start line.

Jeff is gunning to beat his time last year (38:33, 9.12 average pace, crazy fast!) and I wish him the best...gotta set goals and go for it. I, however,
gloated lovingly told told Jeff that I am happy to set an automatic PR since I have never raced this distance. I would like to run a 10:00 pace but am little unsure with current bronchial challenges, the foot and the 30,000 amateurs people I am sharing the course with this Saturday morning. I just hope I can do better than the last 5K in 50:10! All in all, I expect a fun, local event for a good cause & may see a few friends too!

No comments:

Post a Comment